90% of the world’s data has been created in just the past few years. Faced with overwhelming amounts of data, organizations are struggling to extract the powerful insights they need to make smarter business decisions. To help uncover the true value of your data, @iLabAfrica, Strathmore University is offering a course on Introduction to Data Science and Big Data Analytics for all professionals looking to harness data in new, innovated ways and make data driven decisions.
• Theory and practice behind recommendation engines
• Network and graphical modeling
• Anomaly detection
• Hypothesis testing
• Machine learning, and big data analytics.
This course will give you a full overview of the Data Science journey. It will guide you on:
• How to clean and prepare your data for analysis
• How to perform basic visualization programming techniques to your data
• How to model your data using python
• Apply data science techniques to an organization’s data management challenges.
• Identify and avoid common pitfalls in big data analytics.
• Deploy machine learning algorithms to mine your data.
• Interpret analytical models to make better business decisions.
• And finally, how to present your findings and wow the audience
The training will sensitize students interested in Medicine, Engineering, Actuarial Science, Software Developers, Financial Economics and other top careers on the rapidly developing world of data science and analytics.
This program will run twice annually:
January – March
May – July
Participants interested should bring the following items to Strathmore University located in Madaraka Estate, Ole Sangale Road:
• Original and Copy of birth certificate
• Three passport size photographs
• Originals and copy of ID or passport
• Registration fees of 1,000/=
• KCSE Results slip: Mean grade B+; Mathematics
A-; and English A-. Computer Studies is added
For more Information write to email@example.com or call +254714431590
Startup Open is a global competition that is open to entrepreneurs from any industry with a new business that has yet to raise any outside capital from angel investors, venture capital firms or other formal sources of seed funding. More than 1,000 teams applied to compete in 2017.
- All applications must be submitted in English.
- Applications will be accepted from 03 April 2017, until 30 September 2017.
- Applications will only be accepted online through the Startup Compete platform or through an officially approved Global/National Competition.
- It is not required that a startup be incorporated, but a company cannot be incorporated over 18 months to compete.
- You must be starting a for-profit company, or a non-profit that does not rely on grants.
- Your startup must be pre-money, no venture funding, at time of application
- YES Stand-up phase when individuals or groups are equipped with the entrepreneurial attitudes and skills to attempt the creation of new company.
- YES Start-up phase when resources are mobilized and regulatory requirements fulfilled to start a new company.
- NO Scale-up phase when successful companies expand their businesses to new markets or in innovative ways.
- NO Exit phase when a business owner or an investor decides to cash out an investment made in the past through trade sale or merger with a larger player in the industry (merger and acquisitions), secondary sales to third parties or initial public offerings (IPOs).
The winners will be selected by a panel of judges who are looking at a range of criteria including growth potential, passion, creativity, level of idea development, and their pitching skills. Each judge’s score is weighed equally.
One winner of Startup Open receive a trip for one (1) founder to Istanbul, Turkey (room accommodation, flight and meals) where they will receive VIP delegate credentials to the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in April 2018. In addition to the Grand Prize GEC experience, all 10 finalists gain a spot in the exclusive GEN Starters Club, with additional chances there to travel to Istanbul for GEC 2018.
All Finalists will also compete in a public voting round during Global Entrepreneurship Week (Nov. 13-19) for the 2017 GEW People’s Choice Prize.
Applicants will have until September 30 to submit their startup.
For more information on the application process and the competition, please visit here .
According to research, building something that nobody wants is the # 1 startup mistake. See.
For this reason, @iBizAfrica trains startups on customer discovery and validation techniques to enable them develop viable problem-solution fit and product-market-fit.
on Saturday 23rd April, senior mentor and Pitch Friday panelist at @iBizAfrica will train 15 teams shortlisted in the IDEA Foundation Seed Stage Accelerator program (April-June cohort) on customer development using the Javelin Experiment Board and Lean Canvas.
The teams will “get out of the room” to conduct customer interviews where they are expected discover potential paying customers. Using the information gathered the teams will in the following week start the journey of customer creation and finally pitch for funding at @iBizAfrica’s signature pitch event, Pitch Friday.
About Robert Yawe
Robert is a senior mentor and independent Pitch Friday panelist at @iBizAfrica.
He is a designer of local and wide area networks with a vast knowledge and experience in open and proprietary connectivity solutions.
He is also a financial literacy coach which he does to get others to appreciate that without securing their finances all the rest shall be come to nought.
Robert’s specialties include: structured cabling design and installation, local area networks LAN, wide area networks WAN, groupware solutions design implementation and support, cashflow 101 facilitation, corporate mentoring, real estate development, financial literacy coaching, board director, investment group training, real estate project origination, stock broker agent, personal financial training, women financial empowerment, financial literacy writer, ict writer, exhibition adjudicator
This workshop is only open to shortlisted applicants. To participate in our next workshop, look out for the call for application through our social media and blog.
TechnoServe, the mastermind behind this competition, works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. It is a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Their work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities.
Vodafone, USAID and TechnoServe believe that mobile agriculture solutions have the potential to improve the livelihoods of rural men and women by dramatically improving their access to income and finance, increasing transparency and reducing transaction processes, driving productivity through increased information, and building resilience for times of crisis.
The aim of the competition is to incubate winning mobile solutions that serve the interests and needs of farmers. It will be held at Strathmore University and winning solutions will be incubated by iBizAfrica. The incubator hubs great business ideas responding to societal needs.
Participants are meant to come up with sustainable, innovative and mobile solutions to challenges faced by women farmers.
- Deadline: 27th August 2015.
- The competition will run between 28th – 29th August 2015, when the winners will be announced and presented with their prizes.
- The innovations to be considered will revolve around financial Inclusion and value addition in agriculture apps.
- Mobile Application Developers and Computer Specialists(ussd,sms, android,web)
- Graphic Designers and Related Specialists.
- Business and Marketing Specialists
- Students and Professionals are both qualified to apply
- Virtual platform to empower women farmers
- Financial activity tracker.
- Capacity building, etc
- 2 months incubation at @iBizAfrica
- Free domain and hosting
- Company registratio
- Training on Digital advertising at @iLabAfrica
- Ticket to exhibit at the Agribiz expo 2016
- 3 months collaboration with Technoserve as a knowledge partner.
For more details and how to apply to this exciting challenge, Kindly visit here