- Must be registered to conduct business in Kenya in accordance with Kenyan law
- Must demonstrate the innovation and how it links to the Safaricom Foundation strategic
- Must demonstrate capacity to develop and roll out the solution to benefit Kenyans
- Must demonstrate how they have involved partners and the community that will benefit from the innovation
- Potential innovations will be incubated for three months after which those selected will be funded
- Payments will be paid based on pre-agreed milestones
- There will grant to take the innovation to deployment and scale
- This is an innovation challenge fund and the Foundation reserves the right to take an equity stake in the final product (negotiated)
- The focus is on the benefit of the innovation to bring change to the community
- Those selected must be willing to be incubated for three (3) months at @iBizAfrica, Strathmore University
- The fund does not fund operational or logistical costs
- The selection will be by a committee comprised of individuals from Strathmore University, Safaricom Foundation, Mpesa Foundation partners, Safaricom Innovation and Technology divisions
- Teams of a maximum of a maximum of three people by:
- Kenyan youth (18-35 years)
- National and community based non-governmental organisations
- Faith based and civil society organizations
- academic and research institutions
- innovation hubs and the private sector
- Teams must have the relevant technical and business capacity required to successfully execute the the business
- Open Call for Applications-2nd May
- Deadline call for applications-2nd June
- Incubation-June-August 2017
Check here to apply.
The current 2014 Full time Masters in Mobile Telecommunication and Innovation students from the prestigious Safaricom Academy have created a YouTube channel with videos that showcase interviews and tips from leading players in the Kenyan Mobile Phone scene. It covers in depth some of the things that made these people great at the things that they do and helpful tips on how to improve your innovative skills around the mobile scene. It also features interesting news in the mobile industry from around the world and brings you the best from the world of app news.
Have a look below at the first video they made…..
N.B You can subscribe to their channel and watch them bring you different tech stories that will always keep you informed of the ever vibrant technology world.
The Google Policy Fellowship program offers undergraduate, graduate, and law students interested in Internet and technology policy the opportunity to spend the summer contributing to the public dialogue on these issues, and exploring future academic and professional interests.
Fellows will have the opportunity to work at public interest organizations at the forefront of debates on broadband and access policy, content regulation, copyright and creativity, consumer privacy, open government, government surveillance, data security, data innovation, free expression and more.
Who should apply?
If you are a student and passionate about technology, want to spend the summer diving headfirst into Internet policy then this is your chance. Students from all majors and degree programs who possess the below qualities are encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated or stated commitment to Internet and technology policy
- Excellent academic record, professional/extracurricular/volunteer activities, subject matter expertise
- First-rate analytical, communications, research, and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, and to work smartly and resourcefully in a fast-paced environment
Fellows will receive a stipend of USD 7,500 for 10-12 weeks in 2014. Exact dates of the fellowship will be worked out by the fellow and host organization and will be subject to the academic schedules in different countries.
The Spark* Changemakers Program is a powerful opportunity for passionate Kenyans who are at the early stages of building social businesses and organizations that exist to make a difference for people living in poverty.
You can apply if……..
- You have already launched a social enterprise that is already making a difference in the lives of tens of people living in poverty.
- You want to scale their social enterprise to impact many more people living in poverty.
How will You Benefit?
- Attend The Changemakers Accelerator– An intensive six day live-in workshop in Nairobi where you join a small group of Spark* Changemakers and access world class social entrepreneurship training designed to help you focus your non-profit or business and accelerate the growth of your venture.
- Access The Changmakers Support Network– Beyond the accelerator you receive ongoing training and support from Spark* International and we connect you to experts and professionals who can help you as you launch and grow your non-profit or social business.
- Access Powerful Connections– Spark* is an official pipeline partner with a number of powerful organisations that can help you scale a proven social enterprise including Ashoka, Echoing Green and the Unreasonable Institute as well as impact investors to help you raise capital if you are a social enterprise. We can prepare you for these opportunities and make connections for you.
Important application guidelines:
- The application must be completed by the applicant themselves.
- Remember: If your application is successful, you will be training alongside some exceptional social entrepreneurs. If you put forward an honest and authentic application and are selected, you will do great. If you haven’t, you may quickly find yourself out of your depth!
Application Close:5th November 2014
Read more here and apply. All the Best!!
Applications have been invited for the Innovation Challenge to be held at this year’s AITEC East Africa ICT Summit at Oshwal Centre over 20 – 21 November. AITEC has partnered with @iLabAfrica to host the Challenge at the Summit to provide a platform for innovators to showcase their products and compete for awards.
Developers and start-ups are invited to submit applications to make innovation presentations in the following sectors:
- Financial Services
- Government/Public Service
- Transport and Logistics
The top three innovations in each category, as judged by an independent panel of judges drawn from industry leaders, will be awarded a four-month incubation period at @iBizAfrica, the business incubation Centre at @iLabAfrica. Up to three team members for each winning innovation will be included in the project.
Dr Joseph Sevilla, the Director of @iLabAfrica, welcomed the opportunity to identify and develop new talent and product ideas, “We are delighted to be partnering with AITEC for the Innovation Challenge. There is a huge amount of talent with innovative ideas across East Africa and we want to first of all identify the most promising and then help them develop their ideas to a level where they can take them to market on a sound technological and business basis.”
Innovators wanting to enter the Challenge should submit their application at http://bit.ly/16PwBzs
The deadline for submission is 1st November 2013.