Mobile Technology for Public Benefit
Mobile communications technology has quickly become the world’s most common way of transmitting voice, data, and services in the developing world. They hold significant potential for advancing development. At the heart of our foundation is the belief that technology can address some of the Kenya’s most pressing social and economic challenges. Our responsibility and strategy is to utilize our innovative technology in mobilizing social change to improving people’s lives by supporting the development and deployment of mobile technologies that achieve social impact.
The Goal and Expected Results
The overarching goal is to improve the social and economic well-being of Kenyans through the use of mobile technology.
Mobile communications technology has quickly become the world’s most common way of transmitting voice, data, and services in the developing world. They hold significant potential for advancing development. At the heart of the Safaricom Foundation is the belief that technology can address some of the world’s most pressing humanitarian challenges.
Areas of Focus
The Foundation intends to fund qualifying organizations/institutions, individuals and businesses that demonstrate innovations that are in line with the Foundation’s strategic areas of focus,which can be found here. The proposed Technology for Good projects will use any or all facets of technology i.e. text, voice, data, apps etc., and helplines. This innovations should address the following criteria:
- Social impact /People focus– The project has Kenyan people as the key focus. It articulates exactly what the changes will be in their lives and in the long term
- Needs Based/Evidence informed – The project articulates very well the social need that will be addressed; It is evidence informed – either through surveys or desktop reviews.
- Innovation and Technology – The project clearly demonstrates unique innovation; how different to do things. There is evidence use of mobile technology. There is evidence of the required capacity and competences within the team to deliver the product.
- Scale (number of beneficiaries) – The project demonstrates the potential to benefit a large number of people when it is completed
- Strategic link to Safaricom Foundation – The project fits very well with the Foundation’s strategic areas of focus and any of the partnership models.
- Sustainability – The innovation must demonstrate how the project continues to operate and benefit many Kenyans beyond the funding. The overall approach will be to have the project sustainable beyond donor funding.
Who can apply?
The Foundation will consider applications from individuals, national and community based non-governmental, faith based and civil society organizations; academic and research institutions; innovation hubs and the private sector. Click here to download the form. Send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The story was first published in the Safaricom Website
Image source: Internet