Are you a university student that wants to solve problems that matter? You’re in the right place.
Acumen with support from The Rockefeller Foundation have launched a global challenge platform for university students to come together and develop innovative solutions to problems associated with poverty
The organizations will equip students with the skills, guidance, and resources needed to develop innovative solutions for some of the world’s most intractable social problems.
The best ideas will win up to $20,000 in funding as well as an invitation to an exclusive community of experienced entrepreneurs, investors, and change agents, who will help transform these ideas into successful enterprises.
To learn more on this challenge. Click here
Thinking of becoming an entrepreneur, and you have not an idea where to start? Well, @iBizAfrica is organising a talk on Entrepreneurial mind-set and behaviour .You are invited to come and be part of it.
Lewis McGregor is the co-founder of swivel BOX, a social enterprise that builds and delivers entrepreneurship programmes for organisations. Before starting swivel BOX, he worked in Kenya intermittently for two years with Balloon Ventures, supporting micro enterprises to innovate and grow. He has experience working as an Environmental and Innovation consultant and holds a BSc in Product Design and Technology from Loughborough University in the UK.
Lewis looks forward to sharing with you his experience and for you to learn how to become a successful entrepreneur.
Venue: 5th Floor, Student Centre, Strathmore University
Dates: 25th February,2016
Time: 5:30 PM-7:30 PM
Register here to book your slot. It’s ABSOLUTELY FREE .Don’t forget to sign up your friend
The competition invites Business Plans from Start-up firms whose technologies, services, products, or business models show original features or promise of high added value to the society.
Candidates must be the business’ sole proprietor and fit the following criteria to be eligible for the competition;
- In business for about 3 years or less.
- Must have a maximum of up to 5 employees.
- Must be a registered business and with the necessary licenses to operate.
NOTE: All required documents must be presented on submission entry that is; business licenses, operations permit, and certificate of registration.
Entries will be evaluated in the criteria described below
- Innovative qualities (originality and competitiveness) – the potential to create new needs and markets in the specific industries.
- Strong Market Potential – what is the marketability, feasibility, sustainability and feasibility of the business? Judges will consider if the entrepreneur has done adequate market research. Whether he/she knows the market environment and if the entrepreneur is considering a financial balance, investment plan and room for the business to scale.
- Evaluation of applicant – judges will look at entrepreneurs with the experience, knowledge, tenacity, confidence and overall professional acumen needed to scale a highly potential business to a market leader.
- The price will be awarded to a business firm that shows great potential for growth and contributes to the regional economic growth and that which poses the characteristics below
- A new business which creates an added value to the economy through utilizing the regions resources i.e. human and nature
- That business which nurtures talent and attracts talent from the region.
The top 3 winners will be awarded by IQ Marketing an outdoor advertising contract and mentorship in marketing strategies for the business. IQ Marketing shall develop for the entrepreneur the creative concept, and content of the business’ Ads. And place the Ads at strategic street advertising locations for the business.
All entries to be dropped in MSK offices by close of business 19th October 2015. 47 Muchai drive, Off Ngong Road.
What is MEST?
The Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) and the MEST Incubator program provide training, investment and mentoring for aspiring technology entrepreneurs with the goal of creating globally successful companies that create wealth and jobs locally in Africa
Want to start your own software company? Kenyan business wizards & techies, MEST is looking for you!
MEST is recruiting in Kenya for the first time ever (and expanding our incubator network cross-continent). Read more here via Disrupt Africa.
This is a great opportunity to train at MEST in Accra for a year, hone your biz & tech skills, with the opportunity to pitch our Board for seed investment and launch your own software company.
- Have 3-5 years entrepreneurial or corporate work experience
- Can commit a year in Accra, Ghana participating in the MEST training program starting August 2015
What we provide:
- Intensive, MBA-style training in software development and entrepreneurship
- Free housing, monthly stipend, tuition, meals and a laptop
- Mentoring and access to executives at global software companies, entrepreneurs and the VC community in Europe & US
- Chance to change to world through technology; to solve real life, large-scale problems with innovative solutions
- After 1 year, potential for seed funding to launch your company from one of our incubator hub locations (soon-to-be launched) in Nairobi, Lagos, Cape Town and Johannesburg, in addition to the incubator in Accra
APPLY NOW BEFORE JUNE 1 HERE. All the best and do Spread the Word!!!
Have any Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org .
@iBizAfrica and Entrepreneurs Organization (EO) are collaborating to host a local qualifying competition for EO’s Global Student Entrepreneur Awards, a global competition for student entrepreneurs who actively run a for-profit business, while attending a college or university.
EO is the only global network exclusively for entrepreneurs with more than 10,000 members across 40 countries, all of who own businesses with revenues exceeding $1 million per year. EO helps entrepreneurs learn and grow through peer-to-peer learning, once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and connections to experts.
How it Works
@iBizAfrica and EO will organize a judging session where six selected business founders from @iBizAfrica and Strathmore University will make presentations to a panel of judges. The best presenter will be selected.
What do you get?
The startup founder that makes the best pitch will win a Fully Paid Trip to Washington DC for three days.
Dates– 11th March, 2015. Venue– Strathmore University Auditorium