On Friday, 23rd September 2016, in partnership with USAID, @iLabAfica, Strathmore University launched the Wildlife Information and Landscape Database (WILD) App that will strengthen existing wildlife anti-poaching and human wildlife conflict (HWC) deterrent efforts. the U.S. The mobile phone data collection application and cloud-based database is designed to improve collection, sharing, management and analysis of biodiversity information and data of endangered wildlife i.e Elephants and Rhinos in East Africa which are facing extinction due to the increased poaching activities.
In January 2014, in response to President Obama’s Executive Order onCombating Wildlife Trafficking, USAID’s Planning for Resilience in East Africa through Policy, Adaptation, Research, and Economic Development (PREPARED) Project established a partnership with key governmental, non-governmental conservation organization and private sector stakeholders in Kenya and Tanzania to discuss how Information and Communications Technology could be used to improve the fight against poaching in East Africa. The goal was to develop innovative tools that help prevent poaching and HWC, and improve monitoring, coordination, and analysis of anti-poaching and HWC deterrent efforts.
Brad Arsenault, Deputy Office Chief for Environment at USAID’s Kenya and East Africa Mission, explained that “Protecting wildlife from poaching and illegal trafficking helps to secure our global heritage and fight against sophisticated criminal networks that lead to insecurity.”
The WILD application tracks a patrol unit’s movement using global-positioning software (GPS) using the smart-phone. While on patrol, game scouts can record information on incidences that occur, such as poaching, animal mortality, human wildlife conflict, illegal human activity, community service, wildlife sightings, climate data and others.
The information captured in WILD is stored in a secure online database that allows administrators to access and analyze information collected by their scouts, and use this information to support evidence-based management decisions, such as re-organizing patrol routes to cover areas with higher incidents of poaching or HWC. WILD can also be used to track the progress and outcomes of counter wildlife trafficking legal cases that the organization is supporting.
Administrators can view reported incidences geo-spatially by patrol unit, time period or incident type. Administers can link related incidences that occur over a longer time period; for example, linking a crop-raiding incident with a retaliatory killing that may have happened several days later.
WILD can be downloaded on Android-based smart phones via the Google Play Store and has offline capacity to ensure functionality when there is no or limited network access. Watch how the app works.
Story was first published on PREPARED Facebook Page
1. What is the Green Enterprise Challenge?
This is a platform for championing green sustainable jobs by women and youth entrepreneurs in Kenya, with a focus on selected value chains, through MSMEs business modeling in at least 6 selected counties. Nakuru was the pilot County.
2. Problems to be tacked by Green Enterprise Challenge:
- Youth unemployment
- Environmental pollution
- Little education
- Inadequate business skills
3. Who is running the Green Enterprise Challenge?
The challenge is being run by Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT) in collaboration with Tangaza University College.
MESPT is a champion of a Green Growth economy and in partnership with Danida has been implementing the Annual Green Growth Conference and exhibition in Kenya for the last 2 years.
4. Which entrepreneurs qualify for the challenge?
The challenge is open to youth and women who have startup businesses not more than 3 year old. Their businesses must have a green element in it.
5. To register for the challenge must I have an existing business?
No, your business can be an idea which you must be in a position to convince the trainers and the judges that it is viable.
6. What business categories are eligible?
- Your business is eligible if you are in the line of:
- Mobile & ICT Technologies
- Waste Management
- Renewable Energy
7. How do entrepreneurs benefit from the Green Enterprise Challenge?
- They will be sponsored into an entrepreneurship academy in their county.
- All finalists will get certificates.
- Winners will be awarded trophies.
- Overall national winners will be awarded a monetary grant of up to KES 1,000,000 to grow their businesses.
- Sponsorship opportunity to participate/ exhibit in the National Green Enterprise Challenge and the National Green Growth Conference & Exhibition in October 2016.
- Exposure to potential investors/ funders.
- Development of brands
- Media Coverage
- Six months post competition incubation to harness entrepreneurial skills.
8. How do I register/pay for the green enterprise challenge?
Joining the Green Enterprise Challenge is absolutely Free!
Registration is on-going through your county MESPT office or you can forward your name to selected stakeholders in your county.
Person: Ann 0722 207 905/ 0735 333 154/ 0728 817 315
ThinkYoung are happy to present the 1st edition of the Entrepreneurship School Kenya – the next step in becoming a future entrepreneur! With their School in Nairobi, they are offering you the opportunity to further your entrepreneurial knowledge and principles, acquire a variety of new skills and network with experienced entrepreneurs. The training will be carried out at @iBizAfrica incubation center based in Strathmore University
During the next 5 day programme in Nairobi (Kenya) from the 4th-8th April 2016, you will be given the opportunity to question experienced entrepreneurs on a number of topics, exposing you to real experiences and stories of both entrepreneurial success and failure. Engage closely with exciting pioneers via a ‘learning by doing’ methodology and challenge the best entrepreneurs.
No professors, academic books or lectures. Simply, successful Entrepreneurs communicating their own personal experiences in business. A truly unforgettable experience, providing you with the confidence to take your next step in business!
Get ready for the challenge, and secure your Entrepreneurship School place today!
DON’T MISS YOUR CHANCE TO GET THE PROMOTIONAL FEE!
Participation fee: Early Bird price- 1000KSH. Register here to secure your slot.
For more information , visit their website.
What is MEST?
The Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) and the MEST Incubator program provide training, investment and mentoring for aspiring technology entrepreneurs with the goal of creating globally successful companies that create wealth and jobs locally in Africa
Want to start your own software company? Kenyan business wizards & techies, MEST is looking for you!
MEST is recruiting in Kenya for the first time ever (and expanding our incubator network cross-continent). Read more here via Disrupt Africa.
This is a great opportunity to train at MEST in Accra for a year, hone your biz & tech skills, with the opportunity to pitch our Board for seed investment and launch your own software company.
- Have 3-5 years entrepreneurial or corporate work experience
- Can commit a year in Accra, Ghana participating in the MEST training program starting August 2015
What we provide:
- Intensive, MBA-style training in software development and entrepreneurship
- Free housing, monthly stipend, tuition, meals and a laptop
- Mentoring and access to executives at global software companies, entrepreneurs and the VC community in Europe & US
- Chance to change to world through technology; to solve real life, large-scale problems with innovative solutions
- After 1 year, potential for seed funding to launch your company from one of our incubator hub locations (soon-to-be launched) in Nairobi, Lagos, Cape Town and Johannesburg, in addition to the incubator in Accra
APPLY NOW BEFORE JUNE 1 HERE. All the best and do Spread the Word!!!
Have any Questions? Email email@example.com .